In today’s digital world, creating and sharing content online is a must. “Think like a publisher” is the advice of the day. But most of us aren’t actually publishers. So how do we pull it off? When it comes to content, it’s important to view the entire puzzle, mix it up a bit, and put different pieces together to create coherent and meaningful wholes—wholes that tell the story of your brand.
To help you think through the puzzle of content creation, this month we’ve posed three key questions and offered three answers to each.
- Digital has changed how people consume news, buy products, contribute to causes, research topics of interest, even fall in love. You don't want your organization to miss opportunities as decision making shifts to the web.
- People are more empowered than ever and consumers have a very loud voice in the marketplace, unlike ever before. Since anyone can contribute to a brand’s reputation, you will want to take advantage of the new many-to-many marketing strategies that are augmenting the old one-to-many strategies.
- Good online marketing strategies successfully improve brand reputations using expertise, honesty, and interactivity. All things being equal, people will do business with folks they know and trust so building positive relationships online is essential. Creating good content is one key way to achieve this.
Check out this slideshare we created about the who, where and how-to of digital content. We think it is relevant this month. (See, we’re repurposing!)
- Above all your content should be relevant. Whether you're creating E-newsletters, New Media Releases, Evites, video or any other kind of online content, you need to know your audience. One way to do that is to create and focus on personas of existing and potential customers. Understand their business problems, what information they need, what trends will affect them. Get to know them and make sure the content you create meets their needs.
- Next, make sure your online content is diverse. And when it comes to online, that means multimedia. Your content should be accessible to the adventurous amongst us who are the first to download new wikis as well as traditionalists who are less quick to jump on the bandwagon. So use a variety of platforms for your content such as infographics, video, audio, whitepapers, case studies, e-books, surveys, apps, graphics, slideshows and QR codes.
- Finally, brand well. Make a good impression with great packaging. It's an intangible but powerful part of the online experience. And make sure it’s your brand that’s featured, not the brand of a designer, distributor or wire service.
Tips for creating great content:
- Follow industry news: subscribe to e-newsletters, RSS feeds of relevant blogs and newsrooms, and more.
- Follow social conversations: follow experts on Twitter, Facebook, Google+… anywhere thought leaders are speaking.
- Do original research such as surveys and interviews.
- Consider an annual "Best of" feature for newsletters, blog posts, webinars and other assets.
- Repurpose ideas for different mediums and different platforms.
- Keep list of evergreen content for when you’re too busy or ideas just aren’t flowing.
- Ask your audience what they really want from you.
The first thing to do is share your content across multiple platforms: email, website, blog, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. Let all your audiences know about it—social media, email and the web are great ways to do that.
- Then, repurpose it. Audit your content and reuse good ideas in other mediums and across other platforms. So, for example, create a video using assets from recent Powerpoint presentation, write an E-book using info from a recent webinar, or incorporate the slideshow you created for a presentation in your next E-newsletter.
- Finally, keep doing it. Establishing your brand as an expert and creating meaningful relationships online takes time, persistence and consistency. Like any good relationship, commitment is key so stick with it and it will pay off.
We hope these starter ideas will help you think outside the box and triple your success. Want to chat more about creating and sharing great content? Get in touch anytime!