SPARKS, Md. (January 10, 2012) – When it comes to food, people around the world are more alike than different, according to a milestone report released today by McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE:MKC), a global leader in flavor. Since 2000, McCormick has been inspiring a passion for flavor with its signature Flavor Forecast report. This year, for the first time ever, it’s taking a global view. The McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2012 pinpoints common trends and flavors driving culinary innovation around the world.
“With a family of brands in more than 100 countries serving food manufacturers, foodservice customers and home cooks, McCormick has a unique vantage point on evolving tastes across borders,” said Alan Wilson, Chairman, President and CEO of McCormick. “As an extension of our leadership in the flavor market, we are uniquely poised not only to forecast emerging flavors and trends, but to really impact the future of flavor with this report.”
This first global edition of the Flavor Forecast was crafted by an international team of McCormick chefs, sensory scientists, trend trackers, marketing experts and food technologists spanning Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, Latin America and North America. In previous years, regional editions of the report highlighted flavors and trends relevant to specific parts of the world. The Flavor Forecast 2012, which is available in multiple languages, reveals a singular set of forces driving what we will eat across the globe in coming years.
“While developing the Flavor Forecast 2012, our global team was excited to find so many similarities in the trends inspiring diverse cultures to cook, eat and innovate,” said Chef Kevan Vetter for McCormick United States. “And,” added Chef Mark Garcia for McCormick United States, “if there’s one thing the food lovers of the world have in common, it’s that we approach eating with greater curiosity than ever before and really celebrate the enjoyment of it. We can now spend an entire evening immersed in the flavors of a meal.”
For some, enjoyment might mean the simple goodness of real ingredients without the clutter of flashy techniques, as reflected by the Simplicity Shines trend. For others, it could mean celebrating the essence of a culture’s heritage with modern tastes, expressed through the Honoring Roots trend. Inspired by the world’s widening flavor horizons, The Flavor Forecast 2012 highlights six culinary trends brought to life through 12 regional flavor combinations and taste experiences.
“Honoring Roots is all about taking heritage flavors and applying a fresh perspective that mindfully balances modern tastes and cultural authenticity,” said Chef Steve Love for McCormick Europe, Middle-East and Africa. “The flavor combination of Korean pepper paste with sesame, Asian pear and garlic honors Korean BBQ and inspires new interpretations. While these flavors are gaining attention on restaurant menus in some regions, they are still emerging in others. We predict this unique combination of sweet, sour, spicy and savory will soon dazzle taste buds all around the globe.”
6 Trends of Global Flavor & 12 Leading Flavor Combinations:
- Honoring Roots – Honoring traditional ingredients and techniques is a celebration of the heritage of cuisine. Chefs are preserving these roots by applying a fresh perspective that balances modern tastes and cultural authenticity.
- Korean Pepper Paste with Sesame, Asian Pear & Garlic – BBQ with a global twist.
- Cumin with Sofrito – Authentic Hispanic foundational flavors.
- Quest for the Ultimate – For flavor fanatics, what satisfied yesterday will not do for tomorrow. Those searching for the pinnacle of satisfaction are on a quest to achieve the ultimate taste experience.
- Meyer Lemon with Lemon Thyme, Limoncello & Lemon Peel – The ultimate lemon.
- Dill with Mint, Melon & Cucumber – The ultimate refresher.
- Veggies in Vogue – Veggies have long been saddled with second-class citizen status. Now, thanks to the enthusiasm of chefs, the quality of seasonal produce and the unstoppable growth of fresh markets, it’s finally the veggie’s time to shine.
- Eggplant with Honey & Harissa – Worldly veggie with sweet heat.
- Squash with Red Curry & Pancetta – Versatile veggie with a touch of Thai.
- Simplicity Shines – The most memorable food is often the simplest. Cooks are focusing on highlighting quality ingredients with unpretentious preparations, without the clutter of flashy techniques and complex presentations.
- Ginger with Coconut – Warm spice joins tropical favorite.
- Vanilla with Butter – Pure essentials for real goodness.
- Flavorful Swaps – On the journey for personal well-being, small changes add up to big results. Balancing an appetite for bold flavor with a hunger for good health is key to achieving wellness goals, one delicious taste at a time.
- Red Tea with Cinnamon & Plum – Better-for-you beverage meets fruit and spice.
- Grapefruit with Red Pepper – A new take on lemon pepper.
- No Boundaries - Culinary trailblazers are cooking outside the lines by discovering, reinventing and even playing with food. We now have the freedom to explore, shedding the confines of traditional “rules.”
- Blueberry with Cardamom & Corn Masa – From everyday to extraordinary.
- Sweet Soy with Tamarind & Black Pepper – Steak sauce with an Asian flair.
To explore the future of global flavor with inspired recipes, mouthwatering photos and videos, visit www.FlavorForecast.com.
Downloadable images are available in the press section at www.FlavorForecast.com.
About Flavor Forecast
Since 2000, McCormick has been on the forefront of identifying emerging culinary trends through its signature Flavor Forecast, a delicious expression of our passion for flavor. This annual look at the future of flavor is highly anticipated, acting as a catalyst for innovation within the broader food industry. The Flavor Forecast makes a difference in the way people create and experience food around the world. Visit www.flavorforecast.com for more information.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With more than $3 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry—retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick brings passion to flavor.™ Visit mccormick.com, mccormickcorporation.com and Facebook.com/McCormickSpice for more information.