ALEXANDRIA, VA. (January 4, 2011) — It seems too simple a statement to be true, yet it is; family engagement equals student achievement, according to decades of research. That’s why National PTA® is proud to provide grants to 32 PTAs across the country to help promote family engagement and support student achievement during PTA Take Your Family to School Week, February 13–19, 2011.
“Parent engagement is a key component to education reform. National PTA feels strongly about supporting and rewarding our parents at the grassroots level who are contributing to the reform movement every day. This special week and these grants help us do that. These parents and PTAs are not just making a difference in the lives of their children, but the lives of every child, as well,” said Charles J. “Chuck” Saylors, National PTA President.
For the sixth consecutive year, the association, made up of millions of parents and child advocates globally, is presenting grants to schools for their initiatives to engage families in their schools.
Take Your Family to School Week helps PTA further its mission as schools build stronger partnerships with families and emphasize the link between family engagement and student achievement. The timing of the week—in February—and the amount of the grants—$1,897—honor the day and year PTA was founded: February 17, 1897.
The activities planned for the week feature a variety of educational themes, like Science Discovery Day, College Fair Family Breakfast, Family Reading Night, family workshops and trainings, and Family Math Nights, among others.
This year’s grant recipients come from 18 states across the country, as well as one U.S. territory. The 2011 PTA Take Your Family to School Week Grant recipients are:
- Academy for Academics and Arts PTA – Huntsville, AL
- Aldama Elementary PTA – Los Angeles, CA
- Ardena PTA – Farmingdale, NJ
- Barnette Elementary School PTA – Huntersville, NC
- Bates Elementary School PTA – Jackson, MS
- Beehive Elementary PTA – Kearns, UT
- Bel Air PTA – New Brighton, MN
- Bellerose Avenue PTA – East Northport, NY
- Coronado Elementary School PTA – Albuquerque, NM
- Esther D. Burney Elementary PTA – Plant City, FL
- Forest Avenue Academic Magnet PTA – Montgomery, AL
- G. W. Carver Senior High School PTSA – Montgomery, AL
- Gregory Gardens Elementary PTA – Pleasant Hill, CA
- Holliston PTSA – Medway, MA
- Jemez Mountain Community PTA – Gallina, NM
- Kabod Christian Academy PTA – Hormigueros, PR
- Kanapaha Middle School PTA – Gainesville, FL
- Kelsey Creek Homeschool PTSA – Bellevue, WA
- Kirby Smith Middle School PTSA – Jacksonville, FL
- Lake Elmo Elementary PTA – Woodbury, MN
- Marshall Elementary PTA – Jackson, MS
- Rainbow Elementary School PTA – Decatur, GA
- Sagamore Hills PTA – Atlanta, GA
- Sam Davey Elem PTA – Eau Clarie, WI
- Seneca Valley High School PTSA – Germantown, MD
- Southeast Raleigh High School PTSA – Raleigh, NC
- Spackenkill PTA, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Springfield Special Education PTA – Springfield, MO
- Stephen Olney School PTA – North Providence, RI
- Tulip Grove PTA – Bowie, MD
- Two Rivers Elementary School – Sacramento, CA
- Westview Elementary PTA – Avon Lake, OH
PTA’s Take Your Family to School Week is sponsored by AXA Foundation, a Proud National Sponsor of PTA. Visit PTA.org to learn more about PTA Take Your Family to School Week.
About National PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.