Download Fashion Tips Print-friendly PDF
Celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch offers his insider secrets on how to achieve your own red carpet look! Dare to make a statement in the office, on the street or out with your friends.
Forget fashion faux pas
- It’s easy to avoid fashion faux pas like pesky white marks with Degree Women Ultra Clear in the new irresistible fragrance Red Satin. It’s great on white marks and provides 24-hour protection against odor and wetness, so you can walk into any room like you’re walking the red carpet – cool, confident and daring to make a statement in whatever you’re wearing.
Fashion is heating up!
- We are seeing more and more strapless gowns and sleeveless dresses on the red carpet. These looks are no longer tied to one season, and are becoming a show-stopping hit. They are easy to reinterpret by adding a delicate cardigan or wrap or by changing your style of jewelry or shoes to achieve a completely fresh and different look. Fashion is at its best when it’s transformational.
Looking like a million bucks for much less
- You don’t have to go to Paris to find a perfect couture gown. You can find that dress on sale online or at any number of designer discount stores and off-price retailers. Many stores offer red carpet designer gowns at ready-to-wear prices. So don’t be afraid to scour the racks. It’s easy to look like a millions dollars without spending it!
Extra shine and sparkle…
- The easiest way to bump up your bling is through accessories– your jewelry, bag, or shoes. But, it can even be used as a detail on your gown or on your menswear-inspired tailored blazer – we all know that a little extra beading can go a long way to make you dazzle.
Color is key
- A great style statement is often achieved by using color, whether it’s a bright and vibrant hue or a deep jewel tone. Color can often give you just the right pop to stand out from the crowd. Bright colors can give you just the pop you need to make you stand out among the crowd. A bold colored clutch with a contrasting colored shoe or flowing scarf gives any outfit a whole new look.
If the shoe fits, wear it!
- A jeweled or metallic flat or sandal can be much more comfortable and add a sense of personal style to most high glam looks. And if you feel you’re a tad too tiny for him, a platform shoe is sexy and provides a much more comfortable base for your foot so you can enjoy your long night of celebrating and dancing. But beware of clunky shoes—overbearing styles can be too heavy for a light and airy look.
Try on your total look to avoid stresses or surprises
- Always try on your total look (dress, shoes, jewelry, etc) at least one day in advance. That way, if there are any last minute wardrobe issues, you have the time to fix them without the last minute panic. The same goes with any beauty treatments you might be getting before the big event, including faux tans, hair coloring, manicures and pedicures. These are all best done a day or two in advance. That way, if they need a fix or a tweak, there’s time to spare!
Being daring sometimes takes a little preparing
- I always recommend that my clients put safety pins along with a needle and thread (in a matching color to their ensemble) inside their evening bag wrapped in a tissue. This way, they won’t get stuck if they suffer a dreaded wardrobe malfunction like a torn hem, a split seam, or a torn strap.