CHICAGO (December 16, 2009)—’Tis the season of giving as National PTA® proudly awards $1,897 to 32 U.S. schools to help promote parent involvement and support student achievement through PTA Take Your Family to School Week, February 7–13, 2010.
From hundreds of applications, National PTA is rewarding 32 outstanding PTAs for their innovative initiatives to engage all families in their schools during Take Your Family to School Week. With this week, PTA furthers its mission as schools build stronger partnerships with families and emphasize the link between parent involvement and student achievement.
The activities planned for the week feature a variety of educational themes, like Science Discovery Day, Teach Your Parents at School Day, For the Love of Math, Technology in My Classroom, and Family Feud Education Night.
National PTA representatives will visit several schools to personally present “big checks” and support the activities. The timing of the week—in February—and the amount of the awards—$1,897—honor the day and year PTA was founded:
February 17, 1897.
This year’s award recipients come from 23 states across the country and one Department of Defense Dependents School overseas. The 2010 PTA Take Your Family to School Week Award recipients are:
- Robinson Barracks ES/MS PTSA; APO AE (Germany)
- G.W. Carver High School PTSA; Montgomery, AL
- Vista Grande Elementary School PTA; Danville, CA
- R. E. Maclary PTA; Newark, DE
- COPE Center North PTSA; Miami, FL
- Freedom High School PTSA; Tampa, FL
- Sonoraville Elementary PTA; Calhoun, GA
- Desert Sage Elementary PTA; Boise, ID
- Robert A. Black PTA; Chicago, IL
- South Highlands Elementary Magnet School PTA; Shreveport, LA
- Pershing Hill ES PTA; Ft. Meade, MD
- Lucy V. Barnsley Elementary School PTA; Rockville, MD
- SAD 30 PTA; Winn, ME
- Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School PTSA; Detroit, MI
- Goodview Elementary School PTA; Winona, MN
- Alma Schrader Elementary PTA; Cape Girardeau, MO
- Horace Mann PTA; Sedalia, MO
- Ashley Elementary PTA; Winston Salem, NC
- James Martin Middle School PTA; Charlotte, NC
- Stony Lane PTA; Paramus, NJ
- Bellerose Avenue Elementary PTA; East Northport, NY
- McKenna PTA; Massapequa Park, NY
- Chestnut Elementary PTA; Painesville, OH
- Forest Hill PTA; Akron, OH
- Buckingham Elementary PTA; Bend, OR
- South Side Elementary PTA; Harrisburg, PA
- Anderson Mill Elementary PTA; Austin, TX
- Children’s Faith Academy Early Childhood PTA; Conroe, TX
- Power Center Academy PTSA; Memphis, TN
- Canyon Rim Academy PTA; Salt Lake City, UT
- Jordan Ridge Elementary PTA; South Jordan, UT
- Madison Middle School PTA; Seattle, WA
The awards are funded by AXA Foundation, Proud National Sponsor of PTA.
Visit PTA.org to learn more about PTA Take Your Family to School Week.
About National PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.