HUNT VALLEY, Md. (December 9, 2008) – An appetite for internationally infused tastes, a desire for all-natural foods and a craving for favorite ingredients reimagined with contemporary whimsy are a few of the influences behind the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2009. The report, released today, takes an in-depth look at 10 emerging flavor duos poised to transform America’s menus in the coming year.
“Our passion for flavor is the inspiration behind the Flavor Forecast,” said Kevan Vetter, Executive Chef at McCormick. “Whether it’s a mix of culturally diverse tastes – like smoked paprika and agave nectar – or a discovery of pure ingredients – like mint and quinoa – this year, we see excitement in the blending of the new and the familiar.”
McCormick® Flavor Forecast™ 2009 top 10 flavor pairings:
- Toasted Sesame and Root Beer: An iconic soda is rediscovered for its versatility as a cooking ingredient, paired with the bold nuttiness of toasted sesame seed.
- Cayenne and Tart Cherry: The flavors of two superfoods – the heat of cayenne and sweet-sour tang of tart cherry – pack a multi-layered punch.
- Tarragon and Beetroot: This hip pair creates a sensory feast that is anything other than predictable or restrained.
- Peppercorn Mélange and Sake: Japan’s notable rice wine finds a new partner in the quintessentially French unison of multicolored peppercorns.
- Chinese Five Spice and Artisan-cured Pork: Hand crafted artistry merges with a harmonious Asian blend to create an innovative taste sensation.
- Dill and Avocado Oil: Mild avocado oil finds an elegant partner in clean, minty dill – reflecting the healthy goodness that comes from pure, natural ingredients.
- Rosemary and Fruit Preserves: Fresh-picked fruit flavors fuse with aromatic rosemary for a progressive interpretation of sweet and savory.
- Garam Masala and Pepitas: A beautifully matched global combination of an intoxicating spice blend from India and a prized seed popular in Latin America.
- Mint and Quinoa: Nutritious, whole-grain quinoa is taken to new heights when paired with the exhilarating, cool taste of mint.
- Smoked Paprika and Agave Nectar: Smoky sweetness from the purity of nature celebrates a union of Spanish and Mexican ingredients.
For nearly a decade, McCormick has driven cutting-edge flavors through an annual trend forecast. McCormick draws on the expertise of sensory analysts, chefs, trend experts and food technologists. Joined by some of today’s most innovative and cutting-edge restaurant chefs, cookbook authors and TV food personalities, this collective culinary vision helps chart a delicious course for the year ahead.
For recipes, tips and more information on the pairings, visit www.flavorforecast.com.
With an extensive network of researchers, trend experts, chefs, home economists, food technologists, and sensory analysts, McCormick & Company, Inc. keeps its finger on the pulse of flavor. McCormick was founded in 1889 in Baltimore, Maryland. Today it is a global leader in the sale of spices, herbs and seasonings. McCormick sources high quality ingredients from far-reaching destinations to bring a world of flavors to consumers.